Believe it or not, how to clean a motorcycle helmet visor more effectively is a question that every riderr has thought at some point of riding! No matter if your motorcycle helmet is scratch-resistant or has the anti-fog feature within. The dirt build-up and murkiness still manages to make it somehow look unattractive.
In fact, not only does it look grubby but, also it can enhance the possibility of road accidents due to vagueness to the sight. So, to avoid all such parameters today’ we are going to enlighten up the visor cleaning guide through which you can get pro cleanliness.
Our Step By Step Guide To Clean A Motorcycle Helmet Visor
Firstly, make sure what type of visor your helmet has. There are many types such as tinted, chrome, iridium, pin-lock that demands to be treated carefully. Therefore, get used to the unscrewing part so that you do not break it while planning to clean it. Moreover, make sure where you are cleaning the area is dedicated to washing and cleaning purposes. Spread a plastic sheet to a towel so as not to spread the soapy splashes all over the place. Smart cleaning is what you’ll appreciate as well!
Things you may need!
Like any other ingredient, washing does require some of its essential ingredients we know very well. not to confuse much as you generally need only the usual stuff like that you use for cleaning other things or your garments for instance, you may need a:
- Cleaning detergents or mild dishwashing liquid
- Baby shampoo
- An old softer toothbrush_ or maybe new one if you prefer
- Four to five lint-free napkins
- A mild sponge
- A few cotton buds
- Latex gloves
Choose Clean to get it Clean
So, now that you have gathered every essential thing let’s get it started. First of all, make sure you are using a clean fabric or sponge to clean the motorcycle helmet. A dirty old rag will only create a mess instead of cleaning.
Besides, wash your hands to remove any oil or stickiness. Moreover, take a final look at the brushes and clothes you have chosen to ensure it is friendly enough _ probably you do not want to scratch your visor while removing the dirt wholeheartedly.
Detach the Excess
Wisely remove the parts that you think are unnecessary. However, if you aren’t aware of this step you need to read its manual/ guide to avoid any breakage. Carefully, unscrew it and perform the task as it’s been directed. Besides, if your helmet offers you tool-less removal of its visor it would be best but don’t be quite rigid on removing its parts, you might end up breaking it.
Make it Ready
Now that you have successfully taken the front shield of your motorcycle helmet, let it soak in soapy water for a few minutes. It would be best if you opt for the baby shampoo to avoid abrasion on the screen. Let the detergent do its work effectively while it lay in the solution. This is because some parts of it have gathered the dirt that becomes hardened. The soapy solution will help decompose the dirt and make it easy for you to clean it later on.
A slightly warm watery solution is the most suitable one to clean. Lukewarm water increases the pace of dirt particles to break down and melt readily. Besides, it will also make certain to maintain the quality to a greater extent.
Start The Cleaning Session
After you have waited for a while, now it’s time to clean the visor. Use the non-abrasive cloth to wipe the screen gently. Gently spread the soap over the screen and rub it with concern. Aside from soft cloth use a towel also to absorb the water and prevent the mess.
While you clean, pay heed to the edges and narrow parts, which is usually the favorite place of dirt. Besides, use your fingers to make it effectively clean and prevent unwanted rashes on the shield. Thoroughly use the detergent and water to get the best results.
While you are cleaning delicately the outside of the visor, do not ignore the inside as well. This is where you get your breath and built-up fog. Use a slightly damp cloth and gently rub the inside of the motorcycle shield all the way outside.
Let it Dry
After you are done with the whole cleaning, now let it dry on its own. Make sure you have waited two to three hours before reattaching it to the helmet. One thing to pay attention to is you should place your visor upright, it is resting on an angle it will eventually dry up properly; otherwise, and the water droplets may result in water spots all over the shield.
Use Anti-fog Coat
If your visor is anti-fog, make it a surety to coat the anti-fog it again after the cleaning session. Let it dry thoroughly to reapply the anti-fog coating.
Tips to maintain the clarity
- Avoid using a paper towel. It only makes the cleaning worse and promotes the scratches on the shield.
- You probably thinking of washing the rider’s visor is good for the best maintenance. However, the reality is pretty inauspicious. It is advised that don’t over wash the visor, this is because you will wear away the anti-fog coating which will result in a hazy road view. Hence, only wash if it has become extremely dirty and you can survive without just wiping.
- While there are numerous other methods to clean your motorcycle visor, one of which is quite cheap and user-friendly without breaking your bank. Well, you can use your toothpaste to wipe the screen. It readily reduces the scratches and makes you visor more clearly to sight.
- Although, many people use brushes to clean the screens. However, while doing so one has to be quite careful. Always use a softer brush that does not make it scratchy in the end. After all, cleaning shouldn’t come with deforming it.
- Last but not least, if you have done with everything but still your visor isn’t clean enough and there are a lot of scratches and marks__ it is high-time to replace it!